On October 19, 2022, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) issued an updated “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal” poster (the “Poster”) which replaces the previous “EEO is the Law” poster. Covered employers are required by federal law to display the Poster in prominent place at their workplaces.
The Poster includes the following changes:
- adds a QR code which, when scanned, provides a link directing employees to the EEOC’s website providing information on how to file a Charge of Discrimination;
- uses easy to understand language and visually appealing formatting;
- adds harassment as a prohibited form of discrimination;
- clarifies that sex discrimination includes: (a) discrimination based on pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions; (b) sexual orientation; and/or (c) gender identity; and
- includes information about equal pay discrimination for federal contractors.
The most notable change to the Poster is the inclusion of the QR code. At this time, it is unclear whether covered employers will see a rise in EEOC Charges as a result of this feature. A copy of the Poster can be found on the EEOC’s website and is available in English, Spanish, and in a format optimized for screen readers. The EEOC indicated that other translations are forthcoming.
Employers are encouraged to consult with a member of Peabody & Arnold’s Employment Law and Litigation Practice Group with any questions about the Poster and employers’ obligations regarding the same.