Mike primarily serves as coverage and monitoring counsel for insurers. He also represents insurers in coverage disputes and litigation, primarily involving professional liability insurance policies and directors and officers’ liability insurance policies.
Mike’s practice also includes general civil litigation, with an emphasis on the defense of professional liability claims. He has represented numerous professionals, including attorneys and financial institution directors and officers. He is admitted to the bar in Massachusetts and in Rhode Island and has conducted jury and bench trials in both jurisdictions.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
State of Rhode Island
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1982
University of Rhode Island, B.A., 1979
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Association of City Solicitors and Town Counsels
- Contributing author, “Recent Developments in the Law Affecting Professionals, Directors and Officers,” Tort and Insurance Law Journal, v. 38, n. 2 (Winter 2003)
- Contributing author, “Recent Developments in the Law Affecting Professionals, Directors and Officers,” Tort and Insurance Law Journal, v. 37, n. 2 (Winter 2002)
- Pielech v. Massachusetts Greyhound, Inc. 47 Mass. App. Ct. 332 (1999).
- Jonco, LLC v. ALI, Inc. 157 F. 2d 33 (1st Cir. 1998).
- International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 57 v. Seabord Surety Co., 946 F. Supp. 141 (D.R.I. 1996).
- DeBourgkneckt v. Cianci, et al., 846 F. Supp 1057 (D.R.I. 1994).
- Westcott Construction Co. v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co., 996 F. 2d 14 (1st Cir. 1993).
- Commercial Union Ins. Co. v. Gilbane Building Co., 992 F. 2d 386 (1st Cir. 1993).
- Seguin v. Planning Bd. of Upton, 33 Mass. App. Ct. 374 (1992).
- JSA, Inc. v. Pinewood Manor, 755 F. Supp. 458 (D. Me. 1991).
- Scannell v. Ed. Ferreirinha & Irmao, 23 Mass. App. Ct. 465 (1987), 401 Mass. 155 (1987).
- Kilmartin v. H. C. Wainwright & Co., et al., 637 F. Supp. 938 (D. Mass. 1986).
- Co-chair of Insurance Law Committee, Boston Bar Association, 2005-2007
- Town Counsel, Upton, Massachusetts 1984-1992