Jack is one of Peabody & Arnold’s most senior partners, having joined the firm’s Litigation Department in 1991 following judicial clerkships with the Massachusetts Appeals Court and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Jack represents attorneys and other professionals in consumer-protection and malpractice matters; he defends creditors and collection professionals in all types of consumer-protection and enforcement claims and suits; he represents insurers in coverage disputes; he defends employers in employment matters; and he represents defendants in personal-injury actions.
Jack has extensive trial and appellate experience. He has tried cases in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Maine, and has briefed and/or argued appeals in both of the Massachusetts appellate courts, the United States Supreme Court, and the United States Courts of Appeal for the First, Second, and Fifth Circuits.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
State of Maine
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
United States Supreme Court
Catholic University School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1989 (Editor, Catholic University Law Review, 1987-1989)
American International College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1984
Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, Clerk to Justice John M. Greaney, 1990-1991
Massachusetts Appeals Court, Clerk to Chief Justice Christopher J. Armstrong, 1989-1990
- ACA International Members Attorney Program
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Maine Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins: Standing and Actual Damages in Consumer-Protection Litigation, TIPS Professional Liability Insurance Committee Newsletter, Summer 2016
- Understanding The Case Law on Window Envelopes and FDCPA Liability, Collector, Industry News from ACA International, December 2015
- Massachusetts Discovery Practice: Organizing Documents in Complex Cases (MCLE, 2d ed. 2012)
- Recent Developments Affecting the Liability of Professionals, Officers and Directors, 40 Tort Trial & Ins. Prac. L. J. 705 (2005)
- McNally v. United States, Intangible Rights Mail Fraud Declared a Dead Letter, 37 Cath. U.L. Rev. 851 (1988)
- Lecaj v. J.C. Christensen and Assoc., Inc., No. 16-CV-10498 (D. Mass. April 20, 2016)(FDCPA, FCRA).
- Hudson v, Babilonia, No. 14-CV-01646 (D. Conn. June 14, 2016)(FDCPA, FCRA, TCPA).
- Searle v. Convergent Outsourcing, Inc., No. 13-CV-11914 (D. Mass. June 13, 2014)(FCRA).
- Murphy v. Law Offices of Howard Lee Schiff, P.C., No. 13-CV-10724 (D. Mass. Feb. 25, 2014)(EFTA).
- O’Callaghan v. Shirazi, 204 Fed. Appx. 35 (1st Cir. 2006)(lawyer professional liability).
- Massachusetts Asset Financing Corp. v. Harter, Secrest & Emery, LLP, 430 F. 3d 59 (1st Cir. 2005)(lawyer professional liability).
- Stewart v. Dutra Const. Co., 125 S. Ct. 1118 (2005)(admiralty; personal injury).
- Stratton v. National Union Fire Insurance Company, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 17613 (D. Mass. Sept. 3, 2004)(insurance coverage).
- Zimmerman v. Direct Federal Credit Union, 262 F.3d 70 (1st Cir. 2001)(employment).
- Stewart v. Dutra Const. Co., 230 F. 3d 461 (1st Cir. 2000)(admiralty, personal injury).
- Martin v. Sands, 62 F. Supp. 2d 196 (D. Mass. 1999)(FDCPA).
- Zapata Corp. v. National Union Fire Ins. Co., 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 22663 (S.D. Tex. July 6, 1998)(insurance coverage).
- Reliant Airlines, Inc. v. Broome County, 122 F. 3d 1057 (2d. Cir. 1997)(personal injury).
- Dias v. Vose, 50 F. 3d 1 (1st Cir. 1995)(civil rights).
- Commercial Union Ins. Co. v. Gilbane Building Co., 992 F.2d 386 (1st Cir 1993)(contract).
- Bank One, Texas v. Montle, 974 F.2d 220 (1st Cir. 1992)(contract).
- Putnam v. DeRosa, 963 F.2d 480 (1st Cir. 1992)(consumer protection act, fraud).
- Jessamey v. Norfolk Financial Corp., 2006 Mass. App. Div. 82 (2006)(FDCPA, consumer protection act).
- Palriwala v. Palriwala, 64 Mass. App. Ct. 663 (2005)(contract).
- Day v. Kerkorian, 61 Mass. App. Ct. 804 (2004)(professional liability).
- Ramsdell v. Doliber, 59 Mass. App. Ct. 446 (2003)(lawyer professional liability).
- Drywall Systems, Inc. v. ZVI Const. Co., 435 Mass. 664 (2002)(trade practices act).
- New Hampshire Ins. Co. v. McCann, 429 Mass. 202 (1999)(lawyer professional liability).
- Sylvia v. Johnson, 44 Mass. App. Ct. 483 (1998)(trusts, contract).
- Mitchell v. Stop & Shop, 41 Mass. App. Ct. 521 (1996)(personal injury, insurance coverage).
- Beacon Sales Corp. v. American Employers Ins. Co., 40 Mass. App. Ct. 1119 (1996)(construction, trade practices act).
- Instructor, First-Year Writing Program
Boston University Law School 1995-1997
- Member, Board of Directors and Past President, Duxbury Youth Baseball