Jim is recognized as one of the top insurance coverage lawyers in Massachusetts and is equally at home providing coverage advice and litigating coverage matters. He also has had an active litigation and trial practice for over 38 years in, among other areas, professional and general liability, commercial and business disputes, and employment. In both coverage and litigation, Jim enjoys working with clients to provide them with good, timely, strategic advice to help them resolve matters efficiently, cost-effectively, and on the best terms possible.
In the last three years, Jim has been actively working as a mediator in all types of civil disputes. His vast experience in so many areas of the law, his patience, listening and communication skills, creativity, and tenacity have served him well in his role as a mediator.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1978
Manchester University, United Kingdom, M.A., 1975
Lehigh University, B. A., with highest honors, 1973
Honorable Roszel C. Thomsen, United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 1978-1979
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Lehigh University Board of Trustees (1980-1983, 1998-2010), Trustee Emeritus (2010- Present), Chair, Audit Committee (1999-2001), Student Affairs Committee (2002-2010), Subcommittee on University Governance and Faculty Appointments (2004-2010)
- Lehigh University Alumni Association Board of Directors (1978-1983, 1991-1993, 1996- 2001), President (1997-1998)
- The Learning Project Elementary School, Board of Trustees (1994-2003, 2013-Present), Chair (2013-Present)
- Friends of Metro Boston (1989-Present) The Friends provide recreational and social opportunities for the clients of the Massachusetts Department Health.
- The Esplanade Association Board of Directors (2001-2013)
- Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields Board of Directors (2006-2013)
- Saint Joseph’s Parish Marriage Preparation Program (1984-2015), Lead Couple (2000-2015)
- Hill Youth Baseball Coach (1991-1999)
Jim’s volunteer activities have greatly enriched his life.
Also, he played basketball two or three times a week into his 63rd year, when he suffered a serious knee injury. Although he contemplates a comeback almost daily, he is limiting himself to less fun types of exercise.