Jim is a trained mediator and arbitrator with forty years of litigation experience during which he served as an advocate in hundreds of mediations and arbitrations. As Jim began to transition his active litigation practice and shift his professional focus and depth of expertise toward mediating cases in 2014, he completed the forty hour mediation training in accordance with M.G.L. c. 233, section 23C with Mediation Workshops Inc. (MWI) in Boston. Since then, Jim has mediated numerous civil disputes. He is devoting almost all of his working time to serving as a mediator and arbitrator. He is also on the American Arbitration Association Roster of Arbitrators and Mediators.
As a mediator and arbitrator, Jim brings a deep reservoir of experience from his forty years of litigation, trial, and appellate work. Over the course of his lengthy career, Jim has handled some of the most complex matters in the areas of professional liability, medical malpractice, general liability, construction defects, environmental, commercial and business disputes, and employment. Jim has been recognized by various professional organizations, including Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers, as one of the top insurance coverage lawyers for both coverage and bad faith litigation and advice. He is highly regarded for his intellect and integrity by fellow members of the bar, the judiciary, and clients, many of whom are commercial insurers.
Jim brings other key skills and assets to the table as a mediator and arbitrator, which further lend to his effectiveness in the dispute resolution arena: his patience, compassion, listening and communication skills, creativity, tenacity and deep regard for the law.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1978
Manchester University, United Kingdom, M.A., 1975
Lehigh University, B. A., with highest honors, 1973
Honorable Roszel C. Thomsen, United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 1978-1979
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Lehigh University Board of Trustees (1980-1983, 1998-2010), Trustee Emeritus (2010- Present), Chair, Audit Committee (1999-2001), Student Affairs Committee (2002-2010), Subcommittee on University Governance and Faculty Appointments (2004-2010)
- Lehigh University Alumni Association Board of Directors (1978-1983, 1991-1993, 1996- 2001), President (1997-1998)
- The Learning Project Elementary School, Board of Trustees (1994-2003, 2013-Present), Chair (2013-Present)
- Friends of Metro Boston (1989-Present) The Friends provide recreational and social opportunities for the clients of the Massachusetts Department Health.
- The Esplanade Association Board of Directors (2001-2013)
- Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields Board of Directors (2006-2013)
- Saint Joseph’s Parish Marriage Preparation Program (1984-2015), Lead Couple (2000-2015)
- Hill Youth Baseball Coach (1991-1999)
Jim’s volunteer activities have greatly enriched his life.
Also, he played basketball two or three times a week into his 63rd year, when he suffered a serious knee injury. Although he contemplates a comeback almost daily, he is limiting himself to less fun types of exercise.