Ian represents U.S. and international based insurers in coverage matters with a focus on transactional liability. His representation in these matters specifically involves claims and coverage issues arising under representations and warranties policies in connection with M&A transactions. The mergers and acquisitions underlying these policies involve a diverse range of companies and industries across the U.S. and abroad. Ian’s extensive background in a variety of civil litigation practice areas, including A&E, professional liability, and products liability matters, gives him unique perspectives and experiences that are beneficial to his clients beyond just evaluating coverage. Ian uses his litigation and coverage experience to conduct thorough investigations of the claim, work effectively with experts, provide clear analysis regarding breach and loss, and advise his clients regarding efficient claim resolution and other legal considerations.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
State of Connecticut
State of New Jersey
United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2010
Bates College, B.A., 2003
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy, Stanford Law School, 2012.
- Prevailed on behalf of the firm’s property management and concierge staffing agency clients, in which the jury returned a verdict finding both defendants not negligent. Achieved summary judgment for attorney client resulting in the successful recovery of years of unpaid attorneys’ fees and dismissal of legal malpractice counterclaims.
- Achieved summary judgment for attorney client resulting in dismissal of legal malpractice claims stemming from client’s representation of formerly incarcerated plaintiff.
- Negotiated outright dismissal of malpractice claims in lawsuit against real estate agent involving dispute over alleged misrepresentation of property listing.
- Achieved outright dismissal of plaintiff’s slip and fall claims in lawsuit against property owner and management clients.
- Obtained reduction of disciplinary penalties and/or dismissal of complaints against attorneys and real estate agents through negotiations with their respective professional oversight boards.
- Assisted law firm client with successful management and containment of potential data breach by former employee through collaborative efforts with client, law enforcement and third-party technology experts.
- Provided legal oversight and management of onsite expert inspection and analysis of fire and water loss events involving property damage, personal injury and death from around the country, and handled subsequent pre-suit claim negotiations and litigation defense for major product manufacturer client.
- Participated in successful mediation of multiple property damage claims for architect and engineer clients involving six and seven figure damage allegations.
- Successfully mediated negligent security cases involving plaintiff victims of criminal activity at client’s properties.
- Represented clients in the process of reviewing and collecting documents and appearing for depositions in response to third-party subpoenas in civil matters and by other government agencies such as the Department of Revenue and Securities and Exchange Commission.
When not practicing law, Ian can be found spending time with his wife and two young daughters, working on various home improvement projects, and when time allows, brewing up a batch of his own beer.