Joe has led the firm’s Insurance Coverage Practice Group for the past 14 years and has been a member of the group for 25 years. This practice group of 20 lawyers helps insurers with policy wording, claims evaluation and settlement, as well as coverage litigation and arbitration. This work encompasses a wide range of financial lines type coverages (e.g. D&O, E&O, EPL, ERISA, Fidelity, Cyber and Reps & Warranties). Joe and the group have a national reputation in this area of insurance and know the community of mediators, policyholder counsel, brokers, defense counsel and other insurer side counsel that work in this area. Before joining P&A Joe worked at Marsh & McLennan as a claims advocate and placing broker. This experience gives a more rounded understanding of the various constituencies and perspectives involved in claims and coverage disputes. The P&A Insurance Coverage Group works with US, London and Bermuda based insurers.
Supreme Judicial Court, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
University of Oregon School of Law, J.D., 1991
Washington University in St. Louis, B.A., 1986
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Chair, New England Chapter (2007)
- Member, New England Chapter (2001-2006)
- RIMS Conference: Panel Discussion on “Workplace Harassment and Discrimination Claims,” April 28, 2021
- PLUS NE Chapter Panel Discussion “Cyber Risk is a D&O Risk,” September 23, 2020
- “Bankruptcy and Its Implications for D&O Insurers,” CE and CLE seminar for insurer clients – 2019
- Claims Handling under Massachusetts statutes 93A and 176D, 2016
- A Six Pack of Recurring Financial Lines Coverage Issues, 2014-2015
- Bankruptcy and Its Implications for D&O Insurers, 2013-2014
- URMIA Advisory Board: “Title IX”, Presentation on December 9, 2014
- University of Texas Higher Education Risk Management Conference: “Claims Trends and Emerging Management Liability Exposures”, Seminar on April 8, 2014
- University Risk Management and Insurance Associations: Panel Discussion on D&O and EPL claims trends for higher education risks, December 5, 2013
- Advisen: “Quarterly D&O Claims Trends”, Webinar on October 17, 2013
- Government Investigations and D&O Insurance, 2012-2013
- Chief Executive Group: “Understanding D&O Exposure”, Webinar on November 5, 2011
- D&O Coverage for SEC Investigations and Enforcement Actions, 2011-2012
- Understanding D&O Exposures of Private Companies in Today’s Volatile World, 2010-2011
- James Previti, et al. v. National Union Fire Insurance Co., U.S.D.C. Central District of California, Case No. EDCV 12-00704 DDP., (coverage dispute over relatedness of bankruptcy claims for limits purposes).
- Pat Cason-Merenda, et al. v. Detroit Medical Center, et al., Case No. 2:06-cv-15601, U.S.D.C. Eastern District of Michigan, (antitrust case by nurses alleging hospitals conspired to fix wages in metropolitan statistical areas).
- UnitedHealth Group, Inc. v. Columbia Casualty Co., et al. U.S.D.C. District of Minnesota, Case No. 05-CV-1289 PJS/SRN., (coverage dispute over existence or extent of coverage for settlement reached without participation of insurers).
- Duke University, and Duke University Health System, Inc. v. National Union Fire Insurance Co. U.S.D.C. Middle District of North Carolina, Case No. 1:08CV854., (coverage dispute over relatedness of claims for limits purposes).
- Paul Jung, M.D., et al., v. Association of American Medical Colleges, et al. U.S.D.C. District of Columbia, Case NO. Civ. A. 02-0873 PLF., (antitrust case by medical residents attacking the medical resident match program as an antitrust violation).