Maureen understands her clients’ businesses and works hard to help them efficiently resolve disputes. Clients value her practical approach to solving problems and managing cases, and appreciate the depth of her courtroom skills when cases go to trial.
An experienced trial lawyer, Maureen represents clients in complex business disputes, including shareholder conflicts, internet and digital media disputes, general commercial contract disputes, and professional liability claims. She represents clients in a wide range of industries, including financial, technology, digital media, power generation, and insurance.
Maureen represents insurance companies in insurance coverage litigation in Massachusetts and beyond. She is a strategic advisor to companies on risk management, corporate investigations, crisis management and fiduciary and ethical duties, and advises on privacy, security and data breach responses.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
State of California
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court for the Central District of California
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
United States District Court for the Northern District of California
United States Supreme Court
Harvard Law School Program of Instruction for Lawyers Mediation Workshop, 2003
Boston College Law School, J.D., 1990 (Executive Editor, Boston College Third World Law Journal)
Brown University, B.A., 1985
- Business Litigation Session Advisory Committee, Superior Court (2016-present)
- American Bar Association
- Commissioner, Commission on Women in the Profession (2016-present)
- Commission Representative, Committee on Diversity in the Judiciary
- Liaison, Commission on Women in the Profession (2011-2015)
- Chair, Task Force Drafting ABA Resolution Regarding Women on Corporate Boards
- Actively involved, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section since 2003, most recently as National Trial Academy Board Member (2015-present)
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
- Board, Attorney Disciplinary Board (2011-2015)
- Chair, Technology Committee (2014-2015)
- Chair, Rules Committee (2013-2014)
- Chair, Working Committee to Evaluate Online Publication of Disciplinary Decisions, Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts (2014)
- Boston Bar Association
- Member, Steering Committee, Business and Commercial Litigation Section (2015-present)
- Council Member (2009-2012)
- Member, Task Force on The Future of the Profession (2011)
- Co-Chair, Litigation Section (2007-2009)
- Co-Chair, Professional Liability Committee (2005-2007)
- Women’s Bar Association
- Mentor, Women’s Leadership Initiative (2013-2015)
- Member, Business Development Committee (2014-2015)
- The Boston Club, Corporate Board Committee (2015-2016)
- Professional Underwriting Society, New England Steering Committee (2015-2018)
- Superior Court Jury Instructions: Professional Malpractice (MCLE, 3d ed. 2016)
- Quote, “Women as First Chairs: Amid Success, Work Remains,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, April 25, 2016
- Author, “When I was A New Lawyer,” TortSource, Winter 2015
- Quoted, “Who’s Taking the Lead? Women Litigators Strive to Take Charge in the Courtroom,” Perspectives, Vol. 23, No. 2, Fall 2014
- Author, “Mobile Devise Use: Implement Policies to Protect Confidential Business Information,” TortSource, Winter 2012
- Author, “Protect Against Risk of Disclosure of Confidential Business Information Through Employee Owned Smart Phones and Other Mobile Devices,” At Your Service, February 2012
Seminars and Presentations
- “Women in the Law: Getting to First Chair and Tips for In-House Counsel for Finding a Diverse Trial Team,” American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Conference, May 12, 2016
- “Ethics and E-Security Risks and Obligations,” 2016 REBA Spring Conference, May 2, 2016
- “Recent Amendments to the Rules of Civil Procedure,” Massachusetts Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, February 24, 2016
- “Preparing a Client for a Deposition,” Boston Bar Association, February 17, 2016.
- “The State of Jury Voir Dire in Massachusetts”, Boston Bar Association, February 11, 2016
- “Women Counsel Collaboration: How In-House and Outside Counsel Can Help Advance Each Other’s Career,” Women Legal 2015, May 19, 2015
- “Using Social Media in the Jury Selection Process: Ethical Issues and Best Practices,” TIPS Section Conference, April 29, 2015
- “Data Security Threats Are on the Rise: Is Your Restaurant Protected from a Potential Breach?” McGladrey and Massachusetts Restaurant Association, October 23, 2014.
- “Rainmakers Born or Bred?” A Joint Program with the Women’s Bar Association and Boston Bar Association,
October 21, 2014
- “Practicing with Professionalism,” Boston Bar Association, April 4, 2014
- “Are You in Compliance (Data Privacy),” National Association of Personal Financial Advisors, January 24, 2013
- “The Joint Opening Session in Mediation,” ABA 10th Annual Advanced Mediation and Advocacy Skills Institute, November 15, 2012
- “Are You in Compliance (Data Privacy Update),” Newton/Needham Chamber of Commerce, September 11, 2012
- Obtained judgment in favor of client in shareholder dispute alleging breach of fiduciary duty and claim for dissolution of company.
- Obtained judgment in favor of client corporation that shareholder’s stock in an e-commerce company received in early stages of company’s development was not dilutive.
- Obtained judgment in favor of client in shareholder dispute claiming violation of records statute.
- Represented an insurance company, in which the client was granted motion to dismiss in federal court because theft exclusion precluded coverage for theft of funds by computer hacking.
- Kirsten Christophe Memorial Award for Excellence in Trial and Insurance Law, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association, October 2015
- “Top Woman of the Law,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (2012)
- “Top 10 Women Lawyers,” Women’s Business Journal (2009)
- Super Lawyers (2004, 2006-2016)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rating