Jennifer’s civil litigation trial practice focuses on the defense of employment and professional liability claims. In her employment practice, she represents clients before state and federal administrative agencies and in court. She also advises clients on various employment decisions and provides training and counseling on specific issues.
In the area of professional liability, Jennifer represents lawyers and law firms as well as accountants, brokers, appraisers, architects and engineers, and other professionals in malpractice and disciplinary cases. She works tirelessly to obtain the best possible resolution for her clients. Clients appreciate the focus and attention she gives to resolving every matter as well as her ability to address challenges head on. Although most cases resolve before trial, Jennifer has first-chaired several jury trials and has earned a reputation as an intelligent and compelling trial advocate. Jennifer’s commitment to her clients and to striving for the best results at all levels engenders the trust and confidence of those who rely upon her.
In addition to her trial experience, Jennifer has appellate experience in both state and federal courts.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
State of Rhode Island
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Rhode Island
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
University of Massachusetts, B.A., 1997
- Boston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts (REBA)
- REBA Board of Directors
- REBA Co-Chair Ethics Committee
Jennifer is a frequent presenter and author on issues impacting the areas of employment and professional liability. In recent years, she has addressed the following topics in a variety of different forums:
- 93A Claims Against Professionals and Insurers
- Cyber, Data and Privacy Issues for Professionals
- Anti-Harassment and Discrimination Training
- Common Professional Liability Claims and How to Avoid Them (Real Estate Professionals and Attorneys)
- Janney Montgomery Scott LLC v. Tobin, 571 F.3d 162 (1st Cir. 2009)(attorney’s fees awarded for successfully defending against motion to vacate arbitration award where arbitrators found a Chapter 93A violation).
- Heller v. Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Welfare Plan, 396 F. Supp. 2d 10 (D. Mass. 2005)(ERISA).
- Christensen v. Kingston School Committee, 360 F. Supp. 2d 212 (D. Mass. 2005)(employment).
- HR Knowledge, Inc. v. Professional Ins. & Risk Brokerage, LLC, 71 Mass. App. Ct. 1127 (2008)(insurance coverage).
- Marnerakis v. Lichten, 66 Mass. App. Ct. 1116 (2006)(legal malpractice).
- Kaplan v. Benowitz, 65 Mass. App. Ct. 1106 (2005)(legal malpractice).
- Obtained defense verdict in legal malpractice case after ten-day jury trial (2016).
- Obtained defense verdict in jury trial against condominium association alleging fees had been overcharged (2014).
- Obtained defense verdict in gender discrimination/sexual harassment case after seven-day trial (2013).
- “Top Women of Law,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (2014)
- Super Lawyers (2016)
- “Rising Star,” Super Lawyers (2010-2014)
Jennifer is an avid runner. In 2014, she ran her first marathon and has completed another five since then. She also enjoys golf and yoga.