Jane started her legal career in New York, representing insureds in coverage disputes with insurers. Now, insurers rely upon Jane to advise and defend them in complex insurance claims and coverage matters, particularly those involving commercial crime, professional liability, transactional liability, cyber, data privacy, technology errors and omissions, and general liability policies. Jane also represents insurers in bad faith litigation in both state and federal courts. She regularly advises clients with regard to the business and legal implications of a variety of coverage issues. Her experience includes both first-party and third-party liability policies.
Jane also defends professional liability claims against lawyers, technology firms, and other professionals.
Clients and colleagues value Jane’s judgment and insight in crafting practical solutions to difficult problems.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
State of New York
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., Dean’s List, 2008
The George Washington University, B.A., cum laude, 2004
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- The Not-So Golden Years: Power of Attorney, Elder Abuse, and Why Our Laws Are Failing a Vulnerable Population, 82 ST. JOHN’S L. REV. 289 (2007)
- Welch Foods, Inc. v. Nat’l Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, PA, 659 F.3d 191, 193 (1st Cir. 2011)(affirming that exclusion in not–for–profit insurance policy regarding “unfair competition” or “deceptive trade practice” applied to claims alleging deceptive trade practices, false and misleading advertising, and deceptive labeling).
- Kassner v. Chase Home Fin., LLC, CIV.A. 11–10643–RWZ, 2012 WL 260392, at *9 (D. Mass. Jan. 27, 2012)(successful motion to dismiss plaintiff’s nine-count complaint alleging various violations of state and federal real estate and consumer protection laws in connection with a $1.9 million residential home loan issued to plaintiff).
- Town of Saugus v. Zurich American Ins. Co., 791 F. Supp. 2d 274 (D. Mass. 2011)(successful motion for summary judgment, holding that homeowner’s § 1983 claims against insured town “arose from” litigation prior to public official liability policy’s effective date; claim thus fell within policy’s prior litigation exclusion; and insurer had no duty to defend).
- Paradigm BioDevices, Inc. v. Viscogliosi Bros., LLC, No. 10-11915-JLT, 2011 WL 1793346 (D. Mass. May 11, 2011)(successful motion to dismiss defendant client for lack of specific and general jurisdiction).
- “Rising Stars,” Super Lawyers (2012-2016 Top Women Attorneys in Massachusetts (2012-2016)
- Fellow, Massachusetts Bar Association Leadership Academy (2016-2017)
- Board of Trustees, Temple Shir Tikva in Wayland, MA (2016 to present)
- Board Member, Wayland Children and Parents Association (2015 to present)
- Before becoming a lawyer, Jane spent a very interesting year as a newspaper reporter in upstate New York. She won two New York Press Association awards, one for best news story and one for best education story.
- Outside of the office, Jane tries keeping up with her three young boys.